Comments: Sometimes you choose a recipe because the name sounds delicious. Yeah, that.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil new to shallots, halved and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into three-quarter inch pieces
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- Heat oil in 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallots and ginger and cook until softened, about two minutes. Stir in sugar, fish sauce, vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and pepper and bring to simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook until very thick and syrupy, about five minutes.
- Stir in chicken and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes (sauce will thin out as chicken exudes moisture). Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with rice.