Comments: I suppose you could use any spice here. this recipe was taken from Cook’s Country magazine (February/March 2022) it calls for this unique, Ethiopian and Eritrean spice which could be ordered through Amazon.
- 2 tablespoons berbere (alternate: 1 1/2 teaspoons each of paprika, cumin, coriander plus 1 teaspoon each granulated garlic, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 four pound whole chicken, giblets discarded
- 1 cup water
- Combine berbere, 1 tablespoon oil, and salt in small bowl to make spice paste. Patrick and dry with paper towels. Rub spice paste over entire surface of chicken. Talk wingtips behind back.
- Using highest sauté or browning function, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in Instant Pot for five minutes. Place chicken breast side down, in part and cook until well browned 4 to 6 minutes. Using tongs, remove chicken from pot.
- Create aluminum foil sling by folding large sheet of foil into 19 x 6″ rectangle. Place chicken, breast side up, crosswise in center of sling. Lift sides of slang and lower chicken into pot allowing narrow edges of sling to rest along sides of insert. Add water to pot.
- Lock lid in place and close pressure release valve. Select high pressure-cook function and cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn off instant pot, then quick-release pressure. Using sling, carefully transfer chicken to carving board, allowing excess liquid to drain back into pot. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Using wide spoon, skim fat from surface of jus in pot. Carve chicken and transfer to shallow platter. Drizzle 1/4 cup jus over chicken.