- 1 1/2 cups mango (peeled, pitted, roughly chopped)
- 3/4 fresh cilantro (loose pack, not cut, stems and all)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo plus 1 Tbsp adobo
- 2 Tbsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp canola oil, plus extra oil for grill
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs chicken thighs and drumsticks, with bone and skin
- Put the mango, cilantro, chipotle, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of oil, salt, and pepper in a food processor and puree until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add chicken with half the mango mixture to a resealable plastic bag. Massage and coat the chicken with sauce. Refrigerate at least 6 hours to marinate.
- Put the other half of the mango mixture into a small sauce pan and simmer over low heat until thick, stirring often (about 15 mins.) set some of the simmered chipotle- mango sauce aside to serve on the side and baste the chicken every few minutes with the rest of the sauce.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and brush with canola oil. Remove chicken from marinade and put on grill. Grill chicken, turning and basting every 5 mins until cooked through (20-25 mins).