Comments: Most nights when a recipe calls for marinating, I don’t have hours, so I skip it. This is one recipe where you definitely want to let it swim in the juices for at least a few hours. Then again, with this crowd, they’ll just dip it in honey mustard sauce anyway.
Ingredients (marinade and chicken)
- 1/2 cup dry sparkling white wine such as per Secco
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest +1/2 cup orange juice
- five garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- quarter teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 quarts peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander, divided
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- FOR THE MARINADE AND CHICKEN: Combine wine, orange zest and juice, garlic, salt, coriander, and pepper flakes in large bowl. Add chicken to marinade and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- FOR THE COATING: Whisk flour, cornstarch, 1 tablespoon coriander, granulated garlic, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne together in second large bowl. Add water and, using your fingers, rub flour mixture and water together until craggy bits form throughout.
- Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, remove from marinade, allowing excess to drip off, then drop into flour mixture, turning to thoroughly coat and pressing to adhere. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Set wire rack in second rimmed baking sheet and line half of rack with triple layer of paper towels. Add oil to large Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Add half of chicken to oil and fry until golden brown and registering at least 175 degrees, about 7 minutes. Adjust burner, if necessary, to maintain oil temperature between 325 and 350 degrees
- Transfer chicken to paper towel–lined side of rack and let drain on each side for 30 seconds, then move to unlined side of rack. Return oil to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining chicken. Transfer chicken to platter and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon coriander. Serve.