- 3 tablespoons veg. oil
- 2 pounds upon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Steak Rub (homemade or Montreal Steak mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon finishing salt (only if you go the Steak Rub route)
- Homemade Steak Rub spice mix:
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 4 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 425°. Generously spray rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil spray. Note: Be sure to use heavy-duty baking sheet. Pour oil in prepared sheet and tilt sheet until surface is evenly coated with oil. Yes, you are putting liquid oil on top of spray oil. Deal with it.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise in turn have cut sides down on cutting board. Trim the top half-inch from the top and bottom of each potato; discard trimmings. Sliced potatoes lengthwise into 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick planks.
- Combine 3/4 cup water and cornstarch in large bowl, making sure no lumps of cornstarch remain on bottom of bowl. Microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until mixing begins to thicken, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and continue to stir until mixture thickens to putting-like consistency.
- Transfer potatoes to bowl with cornstarch mixture and toss until every plank is evenly coated. Arrange planks on prepared sheet, leaving small gap between planks. Coversheet tightly with lightly greased aluminum foil and bake for 12 minutes remove foil from sheet and bake until bottom of each fry is golden brown, 10 to 18 minutes. Remove sheet from oven and, using thin metal spatula, carefully flipped each fry. Return sheet to oven and continue to bake until second sides are golden brown, 10 to 18 minutes longer. Transfer fries to bowl and toss with Montreal Steak or homemade steak rub (combine 4 ingredients above) and finishing salt. Serve.